Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Testify Cousin!


The next day he saw Jesus coming to him and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!  This is He on behalf of whom I said, ‘After me comes a Man who has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.’  I did not recognize Him, but so that He might be manifested to Israel, I came baptizing in water.”  John testified saying, “I have seen the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him. I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, ‘He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.’  I myself have seen, and have testified that this is the Son of God.” (John 1:29-34 NASB)

John the Baptist has testified to the messengers from Jerusalem, and now he does so to his own disciples.  The way the gospel writer presents it, the baptism of Jesus has already taken place, and the followers of John weren’t there to witness it.  So the Baptizer describes it for them and tells the importance of it.  The irony is that John the Baptist is related to Jesus, and from the other Gospels, knows who He is.  It seems that he really understood who Jesus was only at the baptism event.  The irony is brought out by the Gospel writer in that he uses an old verb.  It used to mean to see, but now is only used for knowing.  By choosing that verb, John the Apostle brings out the limitations of knowledge based on seeing.  John the Baptist had seen his cousin before, but still didn’t know Jesus until he baptized Him.

John the Apostle was using John the Baptist to make a clear statement about who Jesus is, and lending weight to that statement with the Baptizer’s notoriety.  But what does that mean for me, and tell me about Jesus?  First off, John’s testimony is part of the important thing here.  Jesus is the Son of God, and that was revealed to John at the Baptism.  This forms the completion of the linkage between the Apostle’s reference to the “Word of God” and the person of Jesus.  This is the single most important element in John’s testimony.  Jesus walks among them, just like so many others.  Jesus looks like others, He does the things others do, and isn’t remarkable in any other way. Even His cousin doesn’t see Him for who He is.  Finally, to John the Baptist He is revealed as the Son of God.  I doubt the irony is lost on the Baptizer.

Still, even though John knows Jesus because they are cousins, he also seems to know something of who Jesus really is even before he baptizes Jesus.  When Mary shows up to Elizabeth, both pregnant, John leaps in his mother’s womb.  He knows, somehow John knows Jesus is more than just some guy.  I think that even then, the Holy Spirit formed a connection between them.  Yet, John says he did not “know” Him.  When Jesus arrives to be baptized, John says that he needs to be baptized by Jesus; clearly he knows Jesus is important.  Here again is a partial vision, slowly clearing for the prophet, finally resolving itself around Jesus.  The glimpse becomes a clearer, yet puzzling vision.  Even so, there had to be indications before, just not enough to make it irrefutable in John’s mind.  It took a dove and a voice to make him completely sure.

What glimpse do I gain of my Master here through the testimony of these two John’s?  I see several things.  First, I see my Master is a Lamb of sacrifice, but this time for the whole of creation.  The reason that is important is that John wonders later on, yet here seems to know that Jesus came to be sacrificed for all.  Do I forget the basic things I once knew of my Master?  Does my faith waver while waiting?  Is my Master ever not the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world?  With His sacrifice what else can I add to make me acceptable to my Master; how can that not be enough?

I also see that my Master is not easy to understand, even for those close to Him.  I see that His own cousin only had a minor glimpse into who He was and what He had come to do, yet was His forerunner to prepare His way.  I can be used by my Master without perfect knowledge, as long as I obey.  I have to accept that I will never know all there is of my Master, but I will strive to always know more of Him.  Yet I have to accept that it’s not my knowledge but my obedience that makes me of use to Him.  Knowing Him is eternal life, I can only assume knowing Him more is a more abundant life.  That’s great for me, but others are blessed as I obey Him.

What does it take for me to confess that Jesus is the Son of God?  I have confessed that He is, that He is my Lord, and that He has been raised from the dead.  And I didn’t need a dove and a voice at the River Jordan to gain that knowledge.  I read about it though.  The testimony of John the Baptist still has the effect of forerunning redemption.  It still carries weight.  What will mine carry after I’m gone?  Or will it carry anything?  After all, it is not about me or even my testimony.  It’s about the One I testify about.  Do I live a life that lends weight to the truth of my Master? 

The view of my Master’s face is more glorious in this passage.  I see more of the juxtaposed holiness and immanence of my Master.  He is all Holy, yet also lives within me, a seemingly strangely profane person.  But He makes me holy by His very presence.  I tarnish that holiness by my profane living, and He purifies me as I confess.  The Master of the universe, all matter, and every living thing, lives within me.  He does so by choice.  He is no longer far off as the stars, or infinitesimally small as a quark.  I can experience Him, He is close, and I am never out of His grasp.  He loves me, He has my back, and He calls me to be at His service.  Excuse me while I get my towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment